Monday, February 4, 2013

Just Venting

Ok - I'm going to use my blog to vent for a while. This will accomplish two things. 1) I will get it out my system and 2) you will have something to read. So here goes and I hope you get some enjoyment out of this. I know that I will be amusing myself as I write it.

To the instructor who cannot remember your College Wide ID (CWID). It is for your saftey and protection that we are required to verify answers to questions that you yourself have set up. I realize it may be a stretch of the imagination to actually remember the answers but the only other option would be for you to remember your CWID. So if the first question you have reads: The first seven numbers of my phone number. The correct response probably will not be, "I don't know your phone number." I'm going to go out on a limb here and presume that you actually meant the first seven numbers of your own phone number. Kinda wild I know but give it a try.

To the student who cannot remember your CWID. Again, the questions are set up for your safety and security. If the question is what school did you attend for 6th grade and you cannot answer it, I'm sorry. I will ask if you are able to go to campus to show your photo ID so you can get you CWID. When I ask, "Are you able to go to a campus?" I really don't expect you to tell me, "Well, I'm in Oklahoma and that school was in California. I can't get to California for the school name." Ma'am - perhaps you should not be taking classes after all. Especially when I have to explain to you 3 times that I only want you to go to one of our campuses with your photo ID so someone can verify who you are.

To the student just generally confused as to how to do anything. I am so sorry that you find it "overwhelming having to remember log in information." We require only 2 passwords - one for the computer/email and one for TED/Blackboard. We required 2 login names - one is your CWID and one is your name. I can see how this can be overly confusing. Perhaps you should reconsider if you are at a stage in life where you need to be attending college.

To the student who cannot remember the answers to your security questions and says: "huh, I wonder what I put in there. I was trying to be funny that day." Guess it's not so funny now is it?

To the parent who wants to "help Johnny (or Suzy) because he's taking a nap and needs to know how to log into his email." Please, wake up your child who is old enough to be attending college and give them the phone. Require them to ask the question they are needing asked. They can then be certain they know how to access anything they need access too. This is part of college -- this is part of being an adult -- this is part of being responsible. Please - make your child be responsible. Trust me - you do not want them at the age of 32 or so not knowing how to be responsible. Let them take responsibilty for themselves and their classes.

To the student who needs to take a test but does not have time because you are at the airport trying to catch a plane. No, we cannot log in as you and take the test for you. And, even if we could are you certain that you really want someone you do not know taking a test for you? Perhaps it would be wiser for you yourself to take the test. You should have some knowledge of the subject.

To the student who calls because they cannot remember their CWID or PIN. Again, we will have to verify your security question answers. When I advise you of this and your response is, "this is where it gets tricky." This doesn't sound very promising - I recommend going to campus and showing your photo ID then logging in and changing your questions and answers.

To the student and parent of said student who has allowed their parent to have access to all their information. Surprise! Mom forgot your password and decided to answer the security questions herself. She then changed your password for you but forgot to tell you. I realize you have to log into Blackboard and take a test today. However, Mom just changed that password this morning so you may not be able to access Blackboard for up to 24 hours. Hope you don't miss out on the time frame allowed for the test.

To the student who slept in and missed class today and called to ask who they needed to tell. Well, I would recommend contacting the instructor of that class to see if you needed to know anything. You also might want to advise your parent who is paying for this class that you overslept and missed the class. But quite frankly, I'm not taking attendance for the college and don't have to report said attendance to anyone so it doesn't matter to me if you missed class or not.

To the student who called in to have their PIN reset and is able to answer their security quetions one of which, "what is my boyfriend's name?" I really don't need to know that he is an SOB that you cannot stand and you have dumped him although the same SOB still lives in your house because he won't move out a year later.

Well, that's probably enough for now. Just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who do read my blog. Didn't want to let so much time go by before posting again. And, if it seems I am taking to long to post just send me a message and I'll try to come up with something. Or you can always give me a topic and I can expoound on it.





No comments:

Post a Comment