Friday, February 22, 2013

Students

Well, here it is Friday morning and it should be fairly quiet.  Why oh why do I get the calls I get? 

Starts off with someone calling and they go into this huge description of the problem with their computer and what do I think the problem is?  How can they fix it?  Blah, blah, blah -- keep talking.  I say let me create a ticket and have a technician come and help you.  What is your extension?  Person on the phone - oh my gosh I am so sorry I must have called the wrong number.  Me:  this is the IT Service Desk did you not want a technician to look at your computer?  Person on phone:  Oh yeah, ok.    I hope their day improves.

Next caller is even better.  Student calls says she cannot get into Blackboard she has to get in there she has been using this forever and Lordy she sure hopes she ain't on the phone with me for 30 minutes like she was yesterday when she called and no one helped her out.  (If this is true and after talking to her I can see why they were unable to help her). 
I ask for her ID number and pull up her account and do not see any issues with it on the administrative account.  I ask her if she is able to access TED as TED sets the password for Blackboard.  Student:  Honey, I don't need to get into TED - Oh good night I just don't have time for this if it takes to long I'm just gonna have to come down there and I certainly don't have time for that.  Me:  well, let's just see if you can get into TED.  I see that you changed your password on Feb.11th does that ring a bell with you?  It would be 6 numbers you changed it to. 

Student:  I ain't never changed my password I've never been in TED I don't know what's going on I've always used my birth date for my PIN I have so many passwords I just can't keep track of them but I ain't never gone in and changed my password why would I do that:  (and yes I deliberately did not put any punctuation in that previous sentence as the lady did not take a breath the whole time she was saying it). 

I am trying to intervene into this tirade to advise that if I can verify the answers to her security questions I will be able to reset her PIN.  However, it will not be effective for Blackboard for anywhere from 3-24 hours.  Since she cannot get into Blackboard anyway we need to go ahead and do so since she is also unable to access TED.  

Very first question:  Where was your mother born?  Student:  Evansville, Indiana.  Me:  Did you just put Evansville or would you have put Indiana also?  Student:  Oh my word I don't know I know she was born in Evansville, Indiana in XXXX and she died in XXXX she was born in Evansville, Indiana I know she was and she lived there most of her life oh Lordy why do I have to do this I run my own company and have for 32 years I don't have time for this.

I intervene again and ask the second question:  What school did you attend for third grade?  Student:  I went to Webster I know it was Webster I only attended three schools they were Webster Carver and Washington oh Lordy I don't have time for this I know what school I went to I better not have to come down there I do all this stuff for DHS and they know who I am my professors all know who I am ........

I insert the next question over her protestations:  What street did you live on in third grade?  Student I lived on 7th street I know it was seventh street am I gonna have to come down there I don't have time for this you know.  I interrupt to ask:  How did you enter that?  Would you have put the number or spelled it out?  Student: I don't know I don't understand any of this I supposed I probably would have spelt it out oh Lordy I don't have time for this if I have to take off work a couple of hours to come down there it won't be good everyone knows who I am my professors all know me DHS knows me I have run my own business in Tulsa for 32 years I don't have time for any of this. 

Me:  Ok I have reset your password back to your 6 digit birth date do you want to make sure that it works?  Remember, you are not going to be able to get into Blackboard for anywhere from 3-24 hours.  Possibly you can access it this afternoon tomorrow for sure.  Student:  oh Lordy this better work what is my birth date I just don't have time for this I have a test I have to take by Monday  my instructors all know me why is this so difficult I have it changed and now what am I gonna do are you open tomorrow I have so many passwords and I don't like computers don't even have one at home wouldn't have one at work if DHS didn't require it. 

Me:  Yes Ma'am we are here from 8-12 tomorrow if you should need any further assistance.  Have a great day. 

Next student calls wanting assistance logging into the new email system.  Me:  are you at a computer now where you can go to the login screen?  Student:  No, I'm driving down the road but thought I would give you a call while I had time.    Seriously hope he remembers the steps I told him to go through when he was able to get to a computer and that he remembers the password.  I wouldn't be surprised if he calls back.

Another student calls:  I need to apply for my FASFA but I don't know my ID number.  Me:  Have you set up your security questions in TED?  Student:  I don't know I just talked to someone.  I go to TED and after much discussion of the correct spelling of this foreign name I am able to find student in the system but of course there are no security questions in place.  Me:  Unfortunately, you do not have any security questions in place so I am unable to give you any information over the phone.  Are you able to go to a campus?  Student:  Well, not right this minute what else can I do?  Me:  You have two options, you can either go to campus and show them your photo ID or you can photocopy your ID and fax that in requesting the information.  If you fax it it it will take 24-72 hours for a response.  Student:  I can't do that what can I do I need to apply for FASFA?  Who is going to help me?  Me:  No one is going to be able to help you over the phone because we cannot verify who you are.  The quickest and easiest way to get your ID number would be to go to a campus and show them your photo ID. 

Student:  I do not have time for that.  Who can help me?  Shall I fill out another admission form?  Who can I talk to?  Me:  I do not know that filling out another admission form is going to help any.  It will still have to be processed and they will need to email you your ID and that will take some time.  I am not certain of the exact amount of time but again: you have an ID.  The quickest and easiest way to get your number is to go to a campus.  Student:  How do I get my ID number then?  I need to fill out my FASFA who is going to help me with that?  Me:  I don't have any information on FASFA that would be Financial Aid and they do not open until 10 am.  I do not know that they will be able to help you over the phone because you do not have security questions in place.  The best thing to do is to go to campus with your photo ID.  Student:  I do not have time for that.  Who is going to help me get my FASFA?  Me:  You can call Financial Aid but they do not open until 10.


And the day has just started!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment