Wednesday, May 22, 2013

After the Tornado

As many of you know Oklahoma has been hit with two devastating tornadoes this week - one on Sunday and one on Monday.  The news coverage has been tremendous as you know.  You can't help but watch and if you live in Oklahoma you know how lucky you are that you have been spared from this tragedy.

The following is a post my husband made on Facebook yesterday: 
"One of the psychological effects of experiencing storms and watching all the coverage here: I crawl into bed last night and laying next to me is my Fully Dressed Wife. Her reasoning: calling for more storms overnight and wanted to be dressed if more tornadoes came.


At first, I found this humorous, but the more I thought of it, not so much. Every thunder boom today, people looked outside at the clouds. Every gust of wind, and everyone went on edge. Thankfully, the weather is supposed to calm down shortly, maybe everyone can relax soon."

That evening (Monday evening after the tornado hit Moore, OK) just before I went to bed the weather man gave the forecast and was calling for severe storms - large hail - damaging winds.  We live in Tulsa - probably about halfway between Joplin, MO (which was hit by a tornado 2 years ago) and Oklahoma City (where tornadoes had just gone through).  You pay attention to weather forecasts.  As I went to bed that night after hearing the forecast and knowing what had occurred my thought was "if anything bad happens I want to know where my clothes are so I can be dressed."  Or as I commented on my husband's post "didn't want to be caught in my skivvies and embarrass my kids should anything happen". 

Yes, you do find yourself being more 'aware' of storms after disaster strikes;  even if you yourself are not affected. Yesterday was a day of storms which included lots of ominous loud rumbling thunder and gusts of wind.  If you have ever been through a tornado or tornado watch you become 'antsy' or nervous during bad storms.   We don't normally take shelter but we do watch the forecast and track the storm and trust me - if we saw that we might be in the path of a tornado - we would be taking cover.  After the weekend storms we again went over with our son Chris what he should do and where he should take cover if the sirens went off and he was home alone. 

My heart hurts for everyone who has been affected.  I cannot even begin to imagine what these people are going through.  One thing I do know - God is in control.  He is Comforter, Counselor, Friend.  I want to share this poem.  Some of you may have read it before but it always comforts me: 
             
                                          
ONE STEP AT A TIME


One step at a time
A pilgrimage to make.

One step at a time
That’s all I can take.

One step at a time
That’s all God asks of me.

One step at a time
How hard can it be?

One step at a time
Draw me closer to You.

One step at a time
Teach me something new.

One step at a time
That’s all that is asked.

One step at a time
Not a difficult task.

One step at a time
God has set the way.

One step at a time

Don’t let me go astray.

One step at a time
I’ll take with my friends.

One step at a time
To the journey’s end.

Written by: Kathie Marrs
April 7, 2008

                                                   

2 comments:

  1. If I may share some thoughts on a friend of mine who lost his house but not his family:

    It's been a crazy past 32 hours. After such a horrifying near death experience, you might think I now have some deeper profound understanding of life. But, I don't. The biggest thing I think I have learned from this is the incredibly SIMPLE truth that in the end, it's just you and Him. Don't get me wrong. I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of prayers, support, and assistance offers. Thank you all SO much! Hopefully my brain will shut up do I can get some sleep tonight. Another big day with lots to do tomorrow. Thanks again. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said for all Oklahomans.

    ReplyDelete