Monday, May 6, 2013

Granddaughter

OK - a while back a did a couple of posts about a couple of the grandsons.  I still have some grand kids left to talk about and thought I would do so.  Let's talk about my oldest granddaughter, Katie. 

She is 14 now and a typical teen-age girl.  Stays in her room all day except perhaps to eat or take a shower.  Last week her mother posted on Facebook that she was helping Katie choose her classes for high school next year.  Her mother made the comment that it did not seem possible Katie was old enough to be in High School.  Well, I kinda agree.  Where did the time go? 

Katie is a beautiful girl.  When she was little she liked to call herself "Sparkle".  She used to be very entrepreneurial (what a big word!).  Whenever we would visit (remember they live in Arizona - we don't see them a lot) she always had a new way to make money.  It might be selling stickers from her sticker pad, selling "lucky" rocks she found, or giving tattoos.  Giving tattoos involved her drawing pictures on you with markers.  One of my favorite pictures is tattoos she "gave" me and all my girls one year.  If you want to see that - go to my Facebook page.  One time when the family came to Tulsa to visit she set up a candy store and sold candy.  She went to Sav-a-Lot grocery store, bought a bunch of candy then set up a grocery store and sold her candy to anyone who would buy it.  As I said, she always had a way to make money. 

Katie has gorgeous hair.  However, when she was little she was not real happy with her hair.  It was straight.  My hair is naturally curly and this tends to fascinate my grand kids.  They love to smash it down and watch it come back.  LOL  Katie loved to play in the pool.  Her favorite game to play with me in the pool was hair dresser.  I would duck my head under the water and wet my hair down.  Katie would then "fix" my hair.  She was always asking "Do you want BIG hair or flat hair like mine?"  From the way she asked you knew she wanted me to say, "oh, big hair please". 

Now, I mentioned that Katie liked to do makeovers?  Well, she gave me a makeover one time.  She was probably 7 or 8 at the most.  I just let her do whatever she wanted.  She told me she was using some of her glitter makeup.  I should have known I was in trouble when the girl who called herself "Sparkle" says: "Whoops - that's a little to much.  I better take some off."   Now why on earth my family ever let me leave the house I do not know.  I thought we had gotten all the make-up off and no one told me any different.  We leave and go to a museum and do some odds and ends.  I get back in the car and pull down the visor to block the sun.  I look in the  little mirror and see that I have glitter all over my face.  I couldn't help but wonder what people thought. 

So I'm with her mother -- where did the little girl go?   She is now a beautiful young lady getting ready to start high school.  I miss my little Katie Beth. 





No comments:

Post a Comment