Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Childhood Lessons

Thought I'd share a few lessons I learned from my childhood.  I have three brothers so you can imagine my childhood was interesting. It's pretty much a given that if you grow up with three brothers and no sisters you most likely will be tomboy. 

Being the only girl I learned a lot of things that perhaps most girls don't learn.  Most of all I learned that girls can do anything boys can do.  There are some things that perhaps boys will do better but that would have to do with strength. So yes, I can change a tire, change the oil, hunt, fish, skin and dress any animal I happen to catch or kill, play football, etc .  I also learned that boys can do the same things girls do, ie: cook and clean.  Yes, my brothers learned how.  I admit that I was responsible for most of it but they were required to help.

Usually for household chores we were paired up.  We took turns helping with the dishes each night.  One night my brother says "let's not do dishes tonight and when Mom calls us just tell her we don't want to."  Me, "do you think we should do that?"  Brother: "sure what can happen?"  I learned too late that it would be smart to be the one facing the living room.  That way when your dad hears the aforementioned conversation you see him get off the sofa and start walking towards the kitchen taking his belt off.  You will then be the one who says: "oh - I think I'll help mom. She shouldn't have to do it all by herself."  Really, you couldn't have told me it would also be a good idea for me to "help mom"?

I learned that when there is more than one child in the family one of them will be the favorite.  This is evident as you become adults.  It's pretty easy to see that my brothers and I all think one is the favorite and could get away with  murder if he wanted to.

I learned that as the only girl I was spoiled.  I didn't know it and it didn't seem like it.  However, I do remember the first time I wanted something (nothing major and I don't even remember what it was) and I was told no.  Really?  What do you mean that I cannot have what I want?  My brothers always made sure that if there was something I wanted I got it.  I was absolutely aghast that sometime would tell me "no".

I learned how to fish.  There is more than one way to fish.  There is the typical fishing pole way and that's okay. But there is the ever more fun way of "hand fishing" or as some people call it "noodling".  One person has to be the sack person.  That is the person who carries the gunny sack with all the fish you catch.  I was typically the sack girl.  I did however, do my share of sticking my hand in the hole or crevice and feel for the fish.  Oh the danger and excitement but oh the fun as you spend a Sunday afternoon fishing the river from one point to the exit.  Some of my favorite memories are of my dad, my Uncle Ken, myself and whoever else went with us. 

I learned that no matter how much pain you may be in; you will always take the time to watch one of your brothers get a spanking.  Case in point, when you come home from the hospital after having your appendix out and your brother punches you in the stomach.  If you are walking to the house crying and holding your stomach as your dad pulls in the driveway, he will get out of the car and start walking towards the boys as he is pulling his belt off.  Didn't matter how bad I was hurting I stayed long enough to make sure the correct brother got his spanking that day. 

I learned that when you all get new bow and arrows (or BB guns) for Christmas, you shouldn't volunteer to hold the target if you don't have anything to put it on.  Luckily I learned that because my brother was the one who got hit with the BB gun when I missed the target.  No way was I going to turn around and hold the target for him after that. He would have missed on purpose. 

Most of all I learned that no matter what - your brothers are always there for you.  Even now I know that if there was anything at all I really needed all I would need to do is pick up the phone and call and my brothers would be there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment