Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sense Disablilites

I tell you - getting older is definitely not a lot of fun.  Gary has made mention of the fact that I have trouble hearing.  I admit I have a hearing problem...and the sad thing is - I never can remember which ear is my "good ear".    Seriously though, Gary says why don't you have your hearing checked?  Why - I know I can't hear and I know I can't afford hearing aids at this time.  Now, besides having hearing problems I have trouble seeing.  I wear glasses.  However, first thing of a morning even the glasses don't help.  It just takes a little while for the eyes to really get focused good.  Now one other thing to make growing old not a lot of fun --- auto correct text on phones. 

See where I'm going here?  Lots of issues to deal with.  So let me just share a few stories with you regarding the above-mentioned problems.  First off, my hearing.  Gary made mention in a post on Facebook about this.  So here it is:  Our son Chris mumbles - he always has.  This makes it difficult to understand what he is saying even for people with good hearing.  So the other night we were going to get steaks out to grill.  Knowing that Chris doesn't like to chew food Gary asked him if he wanted a steak or a hamburger.  Now I want to make sure you have the whole picture that Gary did not mention in his post.  Gary and Chris are in the kitchen - I am in the living room problem 20 feet away.  Chris mumbles and does not speak clearly.  I hear: 'only if you can make them pancake sized.'   Me:  what do you mean pancake sized?  There is no way in the world that's gonna happen.  This was very focal of course.  What Chris actually said was:  "only if you can make it pink inside'.  Now admit that pink inside and pancake sized can sound alike especially if someone mumbles. 

Now for my vision problems.  My girls have learned that sometimes my texting isn't the best.  I admit it - especially early morning or late night if I do not have my glasses on.  K.C. has actually been texting me at night and responded back "you don't have your glasses on do you?"   This prompts me to put my glasses on to see what I have written.  When I respond to texts at night I try to go check in the morning to see exactly what I have told someone.  Sometimes I wonder what they thought I said.  It can be bad. 

But probably worst of all is auto correct texting on phones.  I hate, hate, hate this!  (And I don't like to use the word hate).  Trust me I know how to spell all my daughter's names,  I don't need my phone trying to change their spellings.  But the best story about this was when I was using Gary's phone.  He was driving and wanted to text our pastor about service the next morning.  Gary did the media for church and he wanted to ask our pastor if he had any media shout (program used) for church.  I'm typing away "do you have any media shout" when the phone auto corrects shout to sh**.  Me:  What!   On no!  Stupid, stupid phone!  I quickly start backspacing to accidentally hit the wrong key and the text sends!  Our pastor gets the text "Do you have any media sh**"   Again, I'm saying stupid, stupid phone I try to type sorry didn't mean that and the real text when they phone takes sorry and sends it again.  I am finally able to get a proper text through to the pastor apologizing for everything and actually asking the proper question.  However, at this point it doesn't really matter because Gary cannot stop laughing at the first text that went out.  

So now you know why I say growing old sucks!   However, on the plus side of this - I do give Gary lots of laughter and that keeps our marriage going strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment