Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 9 - New Food Night

Well, it's Day #9 of my Challenge. And today proved to be the day of temptations to challenge me.

First we had a student who had made several calls to the Call Center. In appreciation for all the help that we had provided she brought us a box of bagels and cream cheese as well as a container of cookies. And they were delivered while I was on my lunch break!  Man did they ever look good!  I totally stayed away from both and it wasn't as hard as it would have been a few weeks ago.

Now we haven't had New Food Night since before the holidays. And in case you think you may have missed out on one - no worries. I was busy and did not get them posted. We had decided that after the holidays we would start back with a Potluck.  This was supposed to be last week but Gary was sick and I was hurting so we postponed one more week.  Tonight we had Potluck; and not just Potluck but it turned out to be International Potluck.



I got the table all set. We decided to eat in the living room in front of the fire. It has been cold and we like to eat in here when we have a fire going. Now back to the kitchen to get things ready.

I had done some searching online (well maybe Pinterest) to find something that would be reasonably healthy for me.  Can you guess what I might be making from my ingredients?


I settled on Chicken Tortellini Soup.  It was awesome and will be added to something that we will be preparing more frequently!


Take some chicken broth, one can white beans, drained and rinsed, one can Italian tomatoes, 1 can chicken (or 1 cup cooked chicken), one package frozen cheese tortellini, dried basil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.  Yep, we really liked this recipe!



Annette brought a salad. It had avocado, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce mix. She brought Catalina dressing, sesame seeds and Chinese Noodles to put on this.  I took an extra big helping of the salad.


Chris brought some ham and cheese sandwiches. Knowing that we would have several items to taste he wisely cut them in small portions for us.  Didn't he have a nice presentation?  I ate one small sandwich (white bread - not supposed to have).


Rick brought some cheesy potatoes.  Man they smelled so good! He said he had been cooking them in the crockpot at work all afternoon.  Was a major distraction to his workers.  A package of hash browns, some sour cream, butter, cream of chicken with mushroom soup, cheese, some onion salt.  Yummers.  I had one small spoonful.


Gary tried something that he loves but has never made.  Fried Rice.  I gotta admit I was not looking forward to this as I don't eat fried rice. To be honest I have never tried it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  He made the rice last night and put in the refrigerator. Tonight he added some chopped up carrots and onions, grated some ginger, chopped up some pork loin and mixed it all together along with an egg.  It was very good.


Oh did I mention that tomorrow is Chris' birthday and we actually had a cake tonight to surprise him . I think the fire on the cake is bigger than the fire in the wood stove behind him.


Doesn't this look good?  Notice the orange sprinkles?  That's because orange is his favorite color.  How did I do with this?  Well, I told Gary to only cut me a small sliver.  I ate two small bites of the cake and gave the rest to Gary.

So over all I think I did pretty good with all the temptations put in front of me today.  And it wasn't to hard to pass them up.

One more picture to share. Doesn't Chris look handsome?













No comments:

Post a Comment