Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Days 14 - 16 Eating Out and New Food Night

Well - I've been a little busy - but I am still on the No Junk Food Challenge.  This has included eating out with our Life Group on Sunday. Making chocolate chip cookies with my across the street granddaughter Monday. Eating out at Red Lobster Monday and tonight was New Food Night.  Lots of challenges here as you can see.

Sunday - we ate at Village Inn. I ordered Tomato Basil soup and a sandwich on wheat bread with artichoke hearts, tomatoes, feta cheese and pesto.  Good options.  Monday - Katy helped me make cookies.  I refrained from sampling the dough. Katy did that as well as licked the beater. We baked two dozen cookies. One dozen for her to take home and one dozen for Grampa. I ate zero - Katy ate the broken cookie because as I told her "If a cookie breaks when you bake it you have to eat it."  Now Red Lobster with our friends.  I knew this could be a temptation as I love shrimp - they had shrimp scampi, coconut shrimp, popcorn shrimp.  I chose to order talapia in a parchment bag with roasted vegetables and rice pilaf.  The roasted vegetables were asparagus, artichoke hearts and onions.  Excellent choice and now I also don't have to worry about a gout attack because I did not eat the shrimp. Double win for me!

We are now up to New Food Night.  We had soup and salad.



We started with a salad. I just tossed together some lettuce, chopped celery, chopped carrots, chopped leek, (Yes, leeks - if  you have not tried them you should. We recently discovered this vegetable and discovered that we love them), and red onion. Served with croutons and an assortment of salad dressings.




Our soup was Potato Leek Soup (now you know why I had leeks to put in the salad). Peel and cut potatoes in large chunks, chop up 3 stalks of celery and 4 leeks using only the white portion. Add to pot with 8 cups of chicken broth. Add in 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, one basil leaf and salt and pepper. Boil until potatoes are done  remove bay leaf. Put mixture in blender a small amount at a time and process until smooth. Pour back into pan and add 1 cup heavy cream.  We served this with roasted French Fried Onions.


Doesn't this look good?  It was yummers!!



Serve with Rick's Famous Garlic Bread! What else is needed?  Nothing really but we didn't stop there.



We had a mystery contribution dish tonight.  One of Rick's workers knew that we had New Food Night and she make some Mexican Spaghetti for us to eat.  I cannot say what all was in this but it sure was good.  We are thinking it was some type of green chili sauce n the spaghetti.  Thank you mystery contributor.


And finally - dessert, Chocolate Duffins  brought by Miss Annette.  Yes, I said duffins.  Kind of a cross between muffins and donuts and yes chocolate.  All three of these are on my NO NO list. They were made with flour, cocoa, salt, soda, sugar, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.  We served it with ice cream brought Chris.


Excellent presentation.  This was Miss Annette's plate. The guys are 3 or 4 of the Duffins with ice cream.  I had one single Duffin - no ice cream.   I think I made a reasonable choice.

Now you are caught up on my Challenge and our New Food Night. I think I am doing well with the challenge and am obviously learning to make better choices and it is easier to do all the time.

I have one last picture to share just because.



Just wanted to show off my Christmas present from my mother-in-law. She made the jar with the candle in it.  Isn't it awesome!  Little snow (epsom salt) in the bottom of the jar, pine cone ornament - lace - very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment